Meet THE recipe for Zucchini Bread. Not just A recipe. THE recipe.
It was created by Mel’s Kitchen Café and aptly named “The Best Zucchini Bread”. Truer words have never been written:
“This is the best zucchini bread recipe ever! It is soft, moist, and so easy to make. Throw away all other zucchini bread recipes – this one’s a keeper!” – Mel
My husband Nathan LOVES this bread alongside his afternoon cup of coffee. Me on the other hand? Zucchini bread all day – morning, noon, or even past midnight when I should be in bed (side note: I first typed “should be in bread”).
Brew yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy a thick slice of this divine bread for the perfect afternoon (or midnight) treat!
THE BEST CLASSIC ZUCCHINI BREAD
- 1 pound zucchini
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (not fat-free)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with oven rack in the middle position.
2. Grease and lightly flour 9x5-inch loaf pan.
3. Chop ends of zucchini off and finely shred the zucchini (don’t peel!)
4. Place shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring out all the excess water (tutorial here starting at 1:50). You’ll want the zucchini to be as dry as possible and should end up with ~1.5 cups of dry zucchini. Set aside.
5. In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
6. In smaller bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, yogurt, sour cream, and melted butter until combined.
7. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the yogurt mixture and zucchini into dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t overmix!
8. Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown and a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
9. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert on a wire rack and cool at least 1 hour.
Recipe source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe. All images and text © MAKKER, LLC.
ANNA'S TEST KITCHEN
Five years ago, MAKKER co-founder, Anna, began developing a family cookbook consisting of recipes she found all over the Internet. Each recipe has been perfected until it passes the “Would I serve this to guests” test and is DesJardin Family-approved. Now, Anna will be passing these treasures onto you! “Anna’s Test Kitchen” will be your go-to for tasty drinks that can be made with your single-serve brewer and delicious foods that pair perfectly with coffee!